My rating: 4 of 5 stars
The book came out on the 30th of July, 2016 and I bought myself a copy the very same day. I did not get a chance to read it immediately so it eventually just ended up in my TBR pile for the rest of the year.
I’ve had five months since then to hear every possible opinion of this book from those who read it before me. Most of them were disappointed. It seemed like they were robbed of some sort of satisfaction they probably expected to feel while reading this — it being HP related and all that. This is probably why I could never bring myself to pick the book up. Gee thanks everyone.
One of my bookish resolutions this year was to finally get it over with. I decided I was going to go in with no expectations and read it the way it’s meant to be read — as a SCRIPT and not as the 8th book or whatever it was marketed as (because honestly, this is not “Harry Potter and the Anything“. It should have been “Albus, Scorpius and the Cursed Child”)
1. If a rare Time-Turner prototype had to be hidden then why in the most obvious of places (Hermione’s office) with the easiest of riddles?
2. Ron wasn’t allowed to shine despite being just as important as Harry/Hermione
3. When Harry was “transfigured” into Voldemort, did they turn him into his human form or the inhuman version that came to existence in Book 4? I would really like to know.
4. So let’s talk about Bellatrix Lestrange and Voldemort’s
love child one sided love child DAUGHTER. I mean, his resurrected inhuman form is able to help make a human child? How in the world 😐
The Good Stuff:
1. Draco and Harry are friends now! Never thought I’d see the day!
2. Scorpius Malfoy is awesomesauce — ’nuff said.
3. Romione ❤
4. I had so many flashbacks of my HP-fueled adolescent years while reading this
5. I loved that some of the old characters like Dumbledore and Snape made brief appearances
6. JKR never fails to include a decent bunch of twists to surprise us
– Page 29: Astoria is dead???
– Page 42: And now Petunia is dead?!
– Page 57: Errrmmm Albus wants to save Cedric why exactly? To right the wrongs of a father he’s pissed at? What a blundering idiot.
– Page 126: AUNT Padma??? Kill. Me.
– Page 134: Why is Harry Potter being a jerk? Never thought I’d say that!
– Page 187: Cedric is a Death Eater and Snape is alive???
– Page 191: Now Neville’s dead?? Wth. No wait, he’s alive. Phew.
– Page 247: RIP Craig.
Overall impression: I really liked this! I don’t care what everyone else says but it doesn’t deserve all the crap it’s getting. This book made me smile and feel happy inside.